Oat and Cranberry Chili Bars (No Bake)

oat-and-cranberry-chili-bars-snack-breakfast


Recently for an unknown reason I found myself skipping dinner. First it was only once in a while which then upped to 4-5 times a week. As a result of skipping dinner, I felt very weak upon waking up and needed to eat something immediately.

Finally, I decided that I needed to eat something even if it is a light snack. First I had a go at the store bought sugary energy bars, but I was not satisfied with the daily dose of sugar I was getting every night in the form of these little cuties.


I have made energy bars with sugar a couple of times and they turn out fairly good, but again it's not a good idea to eat sugary stuff at night. One evening, when I was thinking of making a light snack for myself apart from the regular energy bar, a jar of peanut butter caught my eye and that's when my imagination kicked in!

Why not combine peanut butter with chili, oats and a couple of other ingredients and make a chili oat bar I thought! I looked into my pantry and found some roasted black chanas peanuts and cranberries. I combined all these ingredients to create these bars.

My chili bar is a spin on the classic sugary stuff. These bars are sugarless, gluten free and don't contain butter, like the traditional stuff, in fact, I have used olive oil instead.You can mix and match the ingredients as per your liking. If you don't like chili skip it all together. Below I am listing the ingredients.

Ingredients:

IngredientsQuantity
Oats (instant)6 tbsp
Roasted Chanas1 tbsp
Peanuts3 tbsp
Cranberries1 1/2 tbsp
Peanut Butter3 tbsp
Olive oil1 tbsp
Chili Powder1 tsp
Salt to tasteto taste

Roast peanuts, oats and chanas (chickpeas) for 10-15 minutes at 115 degrees C


Separately cook peanut butter with oil, chili powder and salt.Cook for only 3-5 minutes on low heat till the mixture starts to bubble.


Add the roasted oats, peanuts and chanas to the peanut butter mixture.


Add the cranberries and mix properly.


Place the mixture on a greased baking tray or line it with butter paper. Spread into a square shape with the help of a spatula, as shown in the photo.


Place in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours to set. Cut into desired size. Hope you like this recipe.


Variations:
You can use sesame seeds, bran or even sunflower seeds to make these scrumptious bars. Use for breakfast, snack or a mini-meal.

Comments